Mailscanner Newbie Questions

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 12:07:21 IST 2001

At 11:50 09/10/2001, you wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Julian Field wrote:
> > At 01:50 09/10/2001, you wrote:
> > >         My understanding is that mailscanner goes ahead and starts up 2
> > >sendmail processes as evidenced by the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner
> > >startup script:
> > >/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
> > >         -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
> > >and
> > >/usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
> > >
> > >I assume the first one is for the incoming mail-queue, and that the second
> > >one is for the outgoing mail-queue.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > >I am running a standard RedHat 7.1 sendmail.cf file, w/ the addition of
> > >RBL support.
> >
> > But you just told me you overwrote your sendmail.cf file with one supplied
> > with MailScanner! What sendmail.cf *are* you running with?
>
>In the time that I had written that original message, I had gone back to
>the default sendmail.cf file. So, I am now using a sendmail.cf file that
>is a default redhat.mc + RBL support.
>
>What I believe is happening (correct me if I am wrong) is that the
>incoming QueueOnly sendmail process is using /etc/sendmail.cf, while the
>delivery sendmail process is using /etc/sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner

Both sendmail processes are using the same sendmail.cf file (whatever
location was compiled into your copy of sendmail), just the incoming one
over-rides a couple of the options.

>I do have the system working now. I.E. I am able to send, disinfect and
>quarantine messages. Mail is delivered properly over to the main incoming
>mail server.

Yay! Good news. :-)

> > >  By default, this should disable open-relaying. However, when
> > >I connect to this system, I can relay. If I gank the sendmail.cf from my
> > >working mail-server which REJECTS relays unless added into the
> > >/etc/mail/access file, it STILL allows relay from anywhere on the
> > >mailscanner system.
> >
> > Define what you mean by "anywhere on the mailscanner system".
>
>Let me be more clear on that. ;)
>
>I have the domain nacs.net in /etc/mail/relay-domains. According to my
>sendmail.cf file this allows relaying from any nacs.net system. This works
>fine. Now that I have correct /etc/sendmail.cf files in place, RBL and
>AntiRelay support is working properly.
>
>Here is a copy of the .mc file that I am using for
>/etc/sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner. It is a little overkill for just a
>forwarder, but what the hell....

Nothing will be using actively /etc/sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner, I
just supply it as an example file that you might want to use as your
sendmail.cf file unless you already have one. Sorry if I caused any
confusion over that point, I think I'm going to remove the file from the
distribution altogether. It was only ever intended as a sample but seems to
cause endless confusion, sorry about that.

You should just use the sendmail.cf file you already had on your (working)
system before you started installing MailScanner.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ