Mailscanner Newbie Questions

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 11:12:37 IST 2001

At 23:51 08/10/2001, you wrote:
>1. Install mailscanner rpm
>2. Run the Sophos.install script

Good so far

>3. Add "/usr/local/Sophos/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf
>4. Add 'PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/Sophos/bin"' to /etc/profile

Both unnecessary. That is why I provide a
/usr/local/Sophos/bin/sophoswrapper script.

>5. Moved /etc/sendmail.cf to /etc/sendmail.cf.orig
>6. Moved /etc/sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner to /etc/sendmail.cf

What was wrong with your original sendmail.cf? You should use the original
one unless you haven't got one and actively want to just forward mail to
another machine. The supplied sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner would still
need editing (the DH and DM lines if I remember rightly) even so.

>7. Started mailscanner via /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner
>
>Now.. When I start mailscanner, it moves a bunch of messages to
>/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming and delivers them, but mailscanner never
>seems to do anything else.. ever...

What does your /var/log/maillog say? What sendmail / mailscanner processes
are running? What do you mean by it "delivers them", what do you think it
is not doing?
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ