Mailscanner Newbie Questions

Greg Boehnlein damin at NACS.NET
Mon Oct 8 23:51:17 IST 2001

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Julian Field wrote:

> One thing to note: MailScanner does not require any changes to your
> /etc/sendmail.cf file. Make sure you (and MailScanner's RPM!) have not
> changed your sendmail.cf file. This is something that will be corrected in
> 2.50 (I'm removing the sendmail.cf file I currently provide, it causes more
> trouble than it is worth).

Julian,
        Alright.. I am a bit confused here. I installed a fresh RedHat 7.1
system today, added perl-libnet from the powertools directory and followed
the installation steps for MailScanner:

1. Install mailscanner rpm
2. Run the Sophos.install script
3. Add "/usr/local/Sophos/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf
4. Add 'PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/Sophos/bin"' to /etc/profile
5. Moved /etc/sendmail.cf to /etc/sendmail.cf.orig
6. Moved /etc/sendmail.cf.forwarder.mailscanner to /etc/sendmail.cf
7. Started mailscanner via /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner

Now.. When I start mailscanner, it moves a bunch of messages to
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming and delivers them, but mailscanner never
seems to do anything else.. ever...

--
    Vice President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
           http://www.nacs.net   info at nacs.net   (216)-619-2000