Mailscanner Newbie Questions

Greg Boehnlein damin at NACS.NET
Tue Oct 9 01:50:11 IST 2001

Julian,
        My understanding is that mailscanner goes ahead and starts up 2
sendmail processes as evidenced by the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner
startup script:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
        -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in

and

/usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m

I assume the first one is for the incoming mail-queue, and that the second
one is for the outgoing mail-queue.

I am running a standard RedHat 7.1 sendmail.cf file, w/ the addition of
RBL support. By default, this should disable open-relaying. However, when
I connect to this system, I can relay. If I gank the sendmail.cf from my
working mail-server which REJECTS relays unless added into the
/etc/mail/access file, it STILL allows relay from anywhere on the
mailscanner system.

It has been a while since I have worked with Sendmail, but does the fact
that you are specifying options on the command line override what is set
in the /etc/sendmail.cf file?

--
    Vice President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
           http://www.nacs.net   info at nacs.net   (216)-619-2000