Timeouts

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 16:35:56 IST 2001

At 16:27 02/10/2001, you wrote:
>root 22786 22768 66 15:46:26 ?       23:49 /opt/sophos/bin/sweep
>-p=/tmp/outputlog -sc -f -all -rec -ss -archive -loopback
>
>Total CPU time is 23:49
>
>This was a 800k file that expands out to 800MB, my tmp space on the mail
>server is only 600MB. So it fills it up and then sits and does nothing...the
>tmp space sits at 99%
>
>The total cpu time above, seems well in excess of the timeout settings in
>the mailscanner.conf file?
>
>Any suggestions?

Not immediately, no. I tested with a genuine Zip Of Death file, not just a
large zip file, so I'm not sure what happens when it just runs out of
space. It should still die though. It gets killed -9 after being given 10
seconds to respond to a normal kill.

Try it with a real Zip Of Death and let me know what happens...

> > At 23:36 01/10/2001, you wrote:
> >> Just ran a test of the new timeouts, a 600k file that expands out into
> a few
> >> hundred megabytes. The "Commerical scanner timed out!" message appeared in
> >> the syslog after 5mins, although the sweep process is still thrashing away
> >> on the same message? (its been going now for 26mins on the one file,
> and the
> >> mail queue is at a complete stand still and growing by the second with
> other
> >> mail hotfooting it into the queue).
> >
> > I have just tried this on a Solaris 8 system and the timeouts worked
> > nicely. It did scan the same thing 3 times (once as part of batch scan,
> > next as part of individual message scan, third time to attempt
> > disinfection), but that's as expected.
> >
> > If you do:
> >        while :
> >        do
> >          ps -fe | grep sweep
> >        done
> > and watch the total CPU time of the sweep processes, do they ever exceed
> > the value set in the timeout setting in the mailscanner.conf file?
> > --
> > Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> > jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> > Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
> >                            Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ