redhat 6.2 and mailscanner 2.42 not scanning

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 16 16:12:43 GMT 2001

At 15:57 16/12/2001, you wrote:
>the rpm puts mailscanner script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner which
>starts mailscanner and sendmail (2 queues). It has also created
>/var/spool/mqueue.in.
>
>However whenever I send mail or receive mail it is not passing though
>mailscanner. What I must have done wrong ?
>
>If I do
>
>ps -e |grep mailscanner it shows mailscanner process running
>
>ps -e |grep sendmail shows two sendmail processes running.

Check to ensure that sendmail is not being started from runlevel 2. Do a
         chkconfig --levels 2345 sendmail off
and reboot. On some systems, despite our (previous) best attempts, sendmail
survives from runlevel 2. This would result in the symptoms you are seeing.

In the next version (due around Christmas) I am more careful about killing
off sendmail :-)
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ