redhat 6.2 and mailscanner 2.42 not scanning

Rajesh Fowkar rfowkar at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 16 15:57:41 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have just setup a Red Hat 6.2 email server with mailscanner & sophos for
virus scanning. I have done everything as per the documentation in
mailscanner.

the rpm puts mailscanner script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner which
starts mailscanner and sendmail (2 queues). It has also created
/var/spool/mqueue.in.

However whenever I send mail or receive mail it is not passing though
mailscanner. What I must have done wrong ?

If I do

ps -e |grep mailscanner it shows mailscanner process running

ps -e |grep sendmail shows two sendmail processes running.

Everything seems to be correct. But the mails which I receiving do not
contain the header which indicates it has passed through mailscanner.

I have tried sending mails with some attachments which contain virus. Since
it has not passed through mailscanner no checking has taken place. If I
manually do /usr/local/Sophos/bin/sophoswrapper /home/rajesh it scans and
gives the results.

What I am doing wrong ?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.