Cost of Virus Scanner!

Carl Hogue carl at CAPAHO.COM
Wed Dec 12 13:25:50 GMT 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:46:13 +0000, Nick Phillips <nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:00:44PM +0000, Carl Hogue wrote:
>> I received a response from my friendly neighborhood Sophos dealer today.
>> He wants about $450 USD (GBP 310?) for a one-year 25 user SAVI license.
>> That's his minimum price for using Sophos to scan e-mail attachments on a
>> mail server. It seems a bit overpriced to me.
>
>That is the minimum cost for a SAVI license, but if you were to buy,
>for example, a 5-user "Classic" license then you would be entitled to
>use that on a server. That would cost a bit less (not massively so, I
>admit) and entitle you to use Sophos on all the desktops too.
>
>How many users do you actually have?
>
>--
>Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
>You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.

I asked my local distributor about the price of a 5-user "Classic" license
but he said he's never heard of it.  Would that be a 5-user SAV license?
He also said that the 25-user SAVI license would allow me to use Sophos on
a SINGLE SERVER ONLY and not on any of our desktops.  If that's the case,
then the SAVI license is definately over-priced, in my opinion.  Comparing
that to NAV, for example, a 5-user license is less than $250 USD and a 25-
user license is just over $700 USD.  Both of those NAV licenses allow for
installation on multiple machines up to the user limit.  Unfortunately for
me, however, there is no Linux version of NAV.

Best Regards,
Carl Hogue
carl at capaho.com