Goner-A problems - false alarm

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 17:43:41 GMT 2001

I have now had 3 reports to say that MailScanner is catching it just fine.
:-)
Phew!

I thought it better to alert you (possibly with a false alarm) than sit
around for a day and a half (I'm off to a hospital appt in London tomorrow)
then discover it's a real problem.

I have now seen 3 copies of it myself, all successfully caught by MailScanner.

But one note of caution: it sounds like it's time for people to remember to
upgrade their Sophos installations, a few people (including me!) were
caught out by having a copy of Sophos so old that they were no longer
getting up-to-date IDE files. Just download it from www.sophos.com and run
"Sophos.install" and all will be well again.

At 17:16 05/12/2001, you wrote:
>MailScanner seems to be having some problems catching the Goner-A virus. On
>my systems it appears to miss it, so presumably the MIME decoding is
>failing to work properly on it.
>
>Until I manage to find the cause and publish the fix, I strongly advise you
>to warn your users about this problem.
>
>Sorry about this, it's the first time it has happened and I will try to
>find a fix as fast as I can. Anyone else who wants to join the bug hunt is
>welcome to try too! I have already contacted the author of the MIME-tools
>module to see if he responds with any ideas.
>
>Sorry again folks :-(
>
>If you have managed to catch it, I would be very interested to hear exactly
>what versions of the MIME-tools module you are using. It may be a bug only
>present in some versions.
>--
>Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
>jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
>Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ