Alternatives to Sophos

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Mon Dec 3 09:32:47 GMT 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:58:58PM -0800, Stephen Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running Mailscanner 2.60-2 and the demo version of Sophos
> on a Redhat7.1 - Sendmail 8.11.6. It works very well but the Sophos
> license for 10 users is $600 USD. When converted to Canadian dollars,
> that is very expensive for us. We only have 5-6 mail users so it's hard
> to justify the cost especially when you consider that each desktop copy
> of Norton AV is around $40. Are there alternatives to Sophos that work
> with Mailscanner which might be more friendly on the pocket for small
> businesses?

You should be able to get a 6-user license for Sophos for about 45-50GBP
per user. Not quite as cheap as NAV, but then IMHO NAV isn't even worth
$40. Should you ever need it, Sophos' support is also excellent.

Don't know how much McAfee would be, but that would currently be the only
other package to work with mailscanner.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com