Possible corrupt tnef binary in MailScanner 2.40

Syshelp syshelp at soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 10:08:40 IST 2001

This reminds me...

The other day on one of the mail relays we found things had "hung" and
the cause was a TNEF unpack process which had been running for 30
minutes, of which 20 minutes were on CPU and most worryingly had grown
to a size of 650 MEGABYTES!  The winmail.dat file it was unpacking was a
massive 77kb ;)  It had suceeded in extracting a file from the TNEF.

Has anybody else ever seen this?  I assume it's unrelated to the problem
described below.  Is there any way a TNEF archive could cause
"recursion" in some way in the unpacking process?  Or maybe it's just a
bug in TNEF itself :)

Anyway, just a FYI...

Steve

--
Syshelp - UNIX Systems Support, Southampton University Computing Services