MailScanner version 2.40-1 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 12:24:41 IST 2001

I have just put the tar and Linux/RPM distributions of the new version on
the web site at
        http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/

Upgrade Notes:

1. Before installing anything, save of copy of your /etc/sendmail.cf file
and all your customised files from /usr/local/MailScanner/etc or
/opt/mailscanner/etc
2. It is highly likely that the Linux RPM will over-write your
/etc/sendmail.cf (I'm not too good at handling upgrades in RPM files yet)
and your customised MailScanner/etc files, hence the warning in note (1)
3. There are quite a few new mailscanner.conf options. These are all
documented at
        http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/mailscanner.shtml#conf
    I advise you merge your customisations into the new version of this
file, this is probably quicker than putting all the new stuff into your old
file. A few options have been moved into an "Advanced" section at the
bottom of the file.
4. Test it before you go live on your production systems (hopefully this
goes without saying, but anyway... :-)

The most obvious change to you will be that the Sendmail, Exim, Sophos and
McAfee code has all been merged into one program.

The most obvious change to your users will be the new text or HTML warning
messages inserted at the top of the main body of infected messages,
directing them to read the VirusWarning.txt attachments.

Any problems with the distributions, give me a shout and I'll get straight
onto it!

Jules.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ