New Installation Help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 26 16:55:32 UTC 2024

On 3/26/24 05:40, Will wrote:

> On 3/25/2024 7:51 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Mar 26 10:52:55 dcsnow sendmail[9953]: 42QEqtJl009953:
>> Authentication-Warning: dcsnow.com: postfix set sender to <> using -f
>>> Mar 26 10:52:55 dcsnow sendmail[9953]: 42QEqtJl009953: from=<>,
>>> size=555, class=0, nrcpts=1,
>>> msgid=<202403261452.42QEqtJl009953 at dcsnow.com>, relay=postfix at localhost
>>
>> And is apparently sending the rejection via the Postfix compatibility
>> `sendmail` command.
>
> That would be exactly what I want.  Except, I would like to see why it
> decided to reject those emails.

Actually, rejecting spam after SMTP has accepted it as is the case here
is a bad idea. Much spam is from spoofed senders and rejections are thus
sent to innocent third parties. Rejecting at SMTP time is fine, but that
would require the milter to invoke the entire spam and virus filtering
mechanism during the incoming SMTP session which isn't the way
MailScanner currently works.

> I don't see anywhere it tells me why or
> gives me something I can tune.  If I look at the header of the reject
> message it sends to my Gmail account, I see:

> From: aragonx at dcsnow.com
> To: wyonker at gmail.com
> Subject: Unrequested mail rejected
>
> I remember in the past, if the spam score was 4 or more, it would reject
> it.  But that doesn't seem to be the case here.  It also doesn't give me
> a clue as to why it rejected it.  Or, I just don't understand what it is
> telling me.

I would expect to see additional information in logs beyond what you
report. E.g., things like

> Mar 24 00:21:44 mail MailScanner[193901]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
> Mar 24 00:21:46 mail MailScanner[193901]: Spam Checks: Found 1 spam messages
> Mar 24 00:21:46 mail MailScanner[193901]: Deleted 1 messages from processing-database

I don't know why you aren't getting more information.