Out of office email stuck in queue as MSMilter give out a 4.7.1 Service unavailable

J-P Methot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Fri May 5 18:31:42 UTC 2023

I may have found something regarding this.

With debug enabled, I can see in the journalctl logs the following error
every time the server should send me an autoresponse :

SMFIC_MAIL: bad packet

The message then repeat itself every minute or so until I manually
discard messages in the queue, then it doesn't reappear. A google search
for that error message leads me there:

https://github.com/avar/sendmail-pmilter/issues/5

We are indeed working with non-smtp mail in this case, so could it be
hitting a similar bug? What I think could be happening is that postfix
tries to flush its queue every minute or so but can't as it hits this
bug, thus generating a recurring bad packet error in MSmilter.