Re-process messages in quarantine postfix+ms ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 7 17:52:53 UTC 2022

On 1/7/22 12:28 AM, mailscanner at barendse.to wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> On 1/6/22 4:42 AM, mailscanner at barendse.to wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to re-process all the messages that got thrown into
>>> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine ? There are really many, with
>>> sendmail I could simply move them into the inbound directory but that
>>> will not work with postfix ?
>>
>> You could try something like
>>
>> cd /the/directory/containing/the/messages
>> for file in `ls`; do
>>    sendmail -it < $file
>> done
>
> Thanks Mark! Can sendmail process postfix quarantine files? As
> MailScanner quarantined them, I assume they were not scanned (and am a
> little bit afraid to push the whole batch of messages through 'as is').

It depends on the format. I assumed your setting for `Quarantine Whole
Messages As Queue Files` was the default `No` so that the files are just
the raw messages as received. In that case, `sendmail -t` will remail
them to the addresses in To: and Cc: and they will be processed by
MailScanner as they were when they originally arrived. One issue is if
any of the addressees were not local recipients, they will receive dups.

On the other hand, if `Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files` is set
to `Yes`, then these are Postfix queue files and you can simply move
them to /var/spool/postfix/incoming/ to reprocess them.