SPF checks on Mailscanner

Pramod Daya pramod at mindspring.co.za
Sat Feb 5 16:13:09 UTC 2022

Hi Folks,

Running MailScanner 5.3.4-3 on Centos 7, I'm using, for SPF checking:

pypolicyd-spf-1.3.2-5.el7.noarch
python-pyspf-2.0.14-13.el7.noarch

Using these policyd-spf.conf settings:

debugLevel = 2
defaultSeedOnly = 1
HELO_reject = SPF_Not_pass
Mail_From_reject = Fail
PermError_reject = False
TempError_Defer = False
skip_addresses = 127.0.0.0/8,::ffff:127.0.0.0/104,::1

Which seems to work fine, as it issues warnings to servers that aren't authorised to send for domains that don't have SPF records set up correctly.  However, when I do a command line test from a remote (unauthorised) server to send mail through this server, it happily accepts the mail, even though the unauthorised server is not in the SPF list.  The sending server is not whitelisted, I can't understand why it doesn't get rejected by the SPF check.

Some advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Pramod Daya (CEO)
M.Sc. Computer Science (U. of Oregon)
Unit 5, Melomed Office Park