Moving an existing Mail Relay from one VM to another.

Andrews, Vincent v.andrews at noc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 08:19:13 UTC 2021

Thanks for your comments.

I have just successfully moved the system over to a new VM. It turned out that the issue was to do with Network Manager and how I had moved the ifcg file for the network port.

$ mv ifcfg-eno323232 ifcfg-eno323232.as-X
$ mv as-Y- ifcfg-eno323232 ifcfg-eno323232
$ reboot

Network Manager attempted to load the new ifcfg but found a conflict with the renamed one. Even though it accepted the new IP address (from the retired system) and I could log on, sendmail was having none of it and failed to forward on mail that MailScanner had passed.

This error only produced a warning message in the messages file.

Vince.