Exim 4.93 Breaks MailScanner - Header File Change?

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Tue Jan 14 16:15:52 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm writing you as one of the Exim developers.
Our mailinglist received the following message from a user:

----- Forwarded message from Tony Y via Exim-users <exim-users at exim.org> -----

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 12:14:53 +0000
From: Tony Y via Exim-users <exim-users at exim.org>
To: Exim-users at exim.org
Subject: [exim] 4.93 Breaks MailScanner - Header File Change?
Sender: Exim-users <exim-users-bounces+hs=schlittermann.de at exim.org>

Hi,

Per page 493 of the current spec:

"Any of the above may have an extra hyphen prepended, to indicate the the
corresponding data is
untrusted."

The addition of extra hyphens on variables in the '-H' file breaks
MailScanner.  If the new behaviour is seen as important can it not at least be
made optional with a new configuration flag?

As, per definition, the -H file content is not part of the public Exim interface,
you shouldn't rely on its content. But as I understand that you're
doing a good job interacting with Exim, I'm forwarding you this message.

Maybe you can extend the -H file processing logic.

BTW, the current Exims are able to handle multiple queues, I've created
an Exim/Mailscanner using this feature. The advantage is, that we do not
need several spool/log hierarchies. We get all into one. If you're
interested in this setup, I can forward you my local documentation.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann