envelope-from header missing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 5 01:33:30 UTC 2020

On 12/4/20 4:20 AM, Emanuel Vidmar - Avant.Si wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are experiencing some issues with delivering reports from
> Mailscanner.  The outbound report from MailScanner does not have the
> envelope-from field and therefore the From header is not populated.
> Gmail rejects such Emails, due to missing From header:

I don't see this. envelope-from is not a message header. It is the
argument of the SMTP MAIL FROM: command. Some MDAs will expose it as
Return-Path:. It is allowed to be empty if you don't want DSNs returned
to the sender.

In any case, what I see in MailScanner is notices to email senders have
a null envelope sender, but notices to the Mailscanner admin have an
envelope sender with the admin address. However, both kinds of notices
have a To: header with the recipient's address and a From: header like

From: MailScanner <admin at example.com>

where admin at example.com is the value of the `Local Postmaster` setting.

Have you set that?