HTML disarming died, status = 13

Peter Farrow peter.farrow at togethia.net
Mon Jan 21 11:40:31 UTC 2019

Dear All,

Having upgraded my ancient MailScanner installation on Centos 5, to
running on Ubuntu 18.04 with Sendmail, I have encountered this problem.

It seems the HTML Parser times out, which leads MailScanner to strip the
HTML part of emails out and send a message saying

"MailScanner was attacked by a Denial Of Service attack, and has
therefore deleted this part of the message."

Typically this was caused by Winmail.dat files and TNEF attachedments,
but I don't scan those to get round that issue.

In this case a simple HTML message caused it, and looking through the
logs this happens a lot, but only sometimes does Mailscanner "bin the
html part" and send the warning.

Having done some googling and testing it seems the HTML Parser timesout
waiting for Spamassassin or something like that.

So I increased the timeout for Spamassin from 75 seconds to 300 seconds
just to see if this has an effect, in ConfigDefs.pl under
/usr/share/MailScanner...

Has anyone else seen this?

Pete