Outlook .dat files detected as DOS executable by Linux file binary

Tracy Greggs mailscanner-list at okla.com
Mon Dec 23 13:23:18 UTC 2019

Both Centos 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS file commands return for example
240000.dat: DOS executable (block device driver) on all Outlook received
emails with attachments.  The .dat file names differ with each email, I
never see winmail.dat but what I do see is that whatever the .dat file is
normally contains the attachment and the message.

I hate to completely disable the feature:

# Where the "file" command is installed.

# This is used for checking the content type of files, regardless of their

# filename.

# To disable Filetype checking, set this value to blank.

File Command = /usr/bin/file

What is the current workaround for this issue, and what do you recommend for
TNEF settings in MailScanner.conf?

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

Tracy Greggs