MailScanner 5.1.3 not finding F-protd-6

Nigel Kilner n.kilner at kilner-vacuum-lifting.com
Wed Aug 7 11:23:55 UTC 2019

Hello,

I cannot get the f-prot daemon fpscand to work with mailscanner.  In
virus.scanners.conf i have:

f-protd-6        /bin/false        /usr/local/f-prot   (which is the
location of fpscand)

fpscand is confirmed to be listening on port 10200. here is the out put
from mailscanner --lint

  >>>Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Connected to Processing Attempts Database
Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
There is 1 message in the Processing Attempts Database
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = f-protd-6 clamd"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
Filename Checks: Blocked Filename Detected (1 eicar.com)
Other Checks: Found 1 problems
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
Clamd::INFECTED::Eicar-Test-Signature :: ./1/
Virus Scanning: Clamd found 1 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 1 viruses

If any of your virus scanners (clamd)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

It correctly shows clamd but not f-protd-6. I also see no reference to
f-prot in the logs when mailscanner starts.
I have searched for solutions but can find no clues to the problem.

Why does mailscanner not find or use f-prot?

Nigel

believed to be clean.