Debian Buster

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Fri Aug 2 16:54:06 UTC 2019

I upgraded my test box to Buster from Stretch.  It does work but there were a few things that went bump in the process.  For instance, php is upgraded so the links in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled broke (only an issue if you're running MailWatch on top of MailScanner).
Stretch:
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Apr 11  2018 php7.0.conf -> ../mods-available/php7.0.conf
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Apr 11  2018 php7.0.load -> ../mods-available/php7.0.load

Buster:
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Jul 11 08:54 php7.3.conf -> ../mods-available/php7.3.conf
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Jul 11 08:54 php7.3.load -> ../mods-available/php7.3.load

An easy fix but it took me a while to figure out what the trouble was.

Had a couple of other issues that were puzzlers too, but again easy fixes after I tracked them down.  Can't recall what all the problems were now or if they were MailScanner issues or more MailWatch issues.  Looking back at the history file on my test box, I see I had to fiddle with opendmarc after upgrading.  Debian seems to screw up the opendmarc start script:
  Edit /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/opendmarc.service
  Change the line below:
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/opendmarc
  To:
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/opendmarc -p $SOCKET -c /etc/opendmarc.conf  -u opendmarc -P /var/run/opendmarc/opendmarc.pid

Also had to fiddle with sa-compile to get it working again.  Not an show stopper but better performance if it's enabled.

Not sure what other issues I had.

As Shawn says, give it a go on a test box first if you have one unless you can live w/o email for a few hours.

Best of luck...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.