Message attempted to kill MailScanner

Shawn Iverson iversons at rushville.k12.in.us
Wed Oct 3 15:03:44 UTC 2018

Debugging...

Enable Debug=yes in MailScanner.conf

Empty all queues
Stop MailScanner daemons

Submit the suspect message to mta using appropriate mta tool

Run /usr/sbin/MailScanner, let it try to process the message, and capture
all output and the output in /var/log/maillog

You can process winmail.dat yourself using the tnef binary utility on your
server.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:54 AM DobriL Dobrilov <dobril at stanga.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just received error notification from MailScanner.
>

> Other Bad Content Detected –
>
> Report: MailScanner: Message attempted to kill MailScanner
>

> Then I try to review the mail from archive. Temporary bypass scanning and
> deliver to my box. The mail contain another attached email which contain
> attached email too which  finally contain JPG image.
>
> I try to forward to myself this time I get:
>
> The following e-mails were found to have: Other Bad Content Detected -
>

> The question is how I can debug those email and to find what exactly cause
> the issue.
>
> Possible reasons for me are:
>
> -       Bad character in the subject  because the Subject is
>
> “Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Fw:_Fwd:_Re:_?=
>
> =?UTF-8?Q?=D0=A6=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B0_=D0=B7?=
>
> =?UTF-8?Q?=D0=B0_=D0=BF=D0=B5=D1=87=D0=B0=D1=82?=”
>

> -       TNEF just cannot process attached email. From this perspective
> how I can extract winmail.dat from the message and to process it manually
> with TNEF.

Shawn Iverson, CETL
Director of Technology
Rush County Schools