Strange error with MSMilter

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 20 20:41:03 UTC 2018

On 11/20/18 11:09 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> The other interesting thing in the Postfix log is it looks like the
> message to webmaster was the second of two transactions in the same SMTP
> session and further, the MailScanner child was restarted between the two
> transactions. It is this second message to webmaster that was missing a
> line, so it is quite possible that the issue occurs to the second of two
> transactions in the same SMTP session and has nothing to do with a
> similar message arriving separately at the same time.

I have done some simple tests and I can duplicate the issue. The issue
seems to occur when and only when Postfix receives two separate emails
in one SMTP session.

I.e. an SMTP session like

connect
HELO
MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA
MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA
QUIT

will exhibit the problem in the second message, but

connect
HELO
MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA
QUIT
connect
MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA
QUIT

Does not exhibit the problem.

I have simple Python 3 scripts that produce the error, but I'm not
posting them as the server address and email addresses are specific to
my test machine.