Mailscanner - Spamassassin Issue

Toby toby at rosecott.net
Sat Jun 9 00:16:05 UTC 2018

Hi,

Thanks again for the work put in here, i have been looking at your reply
:-

1.    I would recommend removing the
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/user_prefs file and maybe even the
entire .spamassassin dir to avoid any confusion. The MailScanner service
script should be starting as user root to read all of it's configs then
lowering it's privs by switching to the postfix user.

i did this, and the folder was just recreated when i ran the command.  I
tried copying the user files from the root/.spamassassin folder that is
mentioned in the good scan, but this had no effect

2. In the bad run, something is trying to open
/etc/mail/spamassassin/MailScanner.cf. Does that exist with an uppercase
"M"? It's supposed to be "mailscanner.cf" in /etc/mail/spamassassin all
lowercase.

i checked the file, and it did exist with the capitalisation,
interestingly i renamed it and the result log changed as well, but this
had no effect on the result, so i changed it back again.

3. You need to track down what is pointing to the MailScanner.cf with a
"grep -rl MailScanner.cf *" from / or something.
  These are two very different files but I think something is crossed up
in your configs:
/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

i have no idea how to do the grep thing, i'm a noob to linux, so i did
nothing about this, i have a colleague who may help with this if needs
be.

So i was still no further forwards.  i started comparing the results
again, and noticed a difference in some lines above the user_prefs you
mentioned.

<bad results>
Jun 9 01:03:34.495 [27253] dbg: config: using
"/etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf" for sys rules pre files
Jun 9 01:03:34.496 [27253] dbg: config: read file
/etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf
Jun 9 01:03:34.496 [27253] dbg: config: using
"/etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf" for default rules dir
Jun 9 01:03:34.497 [27253] dbg: config: read file
/etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf
Jun 9 01:03:34.498 [27253] dbg: config: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin"
for site rules dir
Jun 9 01:03:34.499 [27253] dbg: config: read file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/MailScanner.cf
Jun 9 01:03:34.500 [27253] dbg: config: read file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
Jun 9 01:03:34.500 [27253] dbg: config: using
"/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin" for user state dir
Jun 9 01:03:34.501 [27253] dbg: config: using
"/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
Jun 9 01:03:34.502 [27253] dbg: config: read file
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/user_prefs

<Good results>
  dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001" for sys rules pre
files
  dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001" for default rules
dir
  dbg: config: read file
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/updates_spamassassin_org.cf
  dbg: config: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
  dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/MailScanner.cf
  dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
  dbg: config: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
  dbg: config: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
  dbg: config: read file /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs

This got me thinking and i found a load of NN_xxxxxxx.cf files in a
folder beneath 3.004.001.  i ended up copying these to the
/etc/mail/Spamassassin folder.  and now i have it working.

i don't think this is the correct solution, but it will hopefully point
to the correct solution.

in the meantime thanks again for the help