Block email faking to be from our domain but coming from outside?

David Jones djones at ena.com
Fri Jun 8 12:40:10 UTC 2018

On 06/08/2018 07:18 AM, Remco Barendse wrote:
> Thanks for your reply!  These are not bulk spam messages, I'm talking
> carefully engineered tailor made messages from someone imposing to be
> myself and trying to persuade someone in finance to make a payment or
> change bank details.
>
> That's why I would like to explore options to flag those messages. If
> mail arrives from outside and our domain name is in the From: address
> something is terribly wrong :)
>
> I don't think SpamAssassin would help much in that case?

Do you understand that MailScanner's primary method of scoring and
blocking email is SpamAssassin?  MailScanner is basically a wrapper for
SA with some extra checks like icing on the cake.  The cake is SA.

I have an SA rule that does the very thing you are needed to do:

header          __MSGID_ENA_FILTERED    Message-ID =~ /\@ena\.com>/
meta            ENA_MSGID_ENA_FILTERED  !ALL_TRUSTED && __MSGID_ENA_FILTERED
describe        ENA_MSGID_ENA_FILTERED  Message ID ends in a domain that
ENA filters inbound
score           ENA_MSGID_ENA_FILTERED  8.2

If you showed me the headers of an example email, I could confirm or
help you setup an SA rule that would block these fake emails.

Dave

--
David Jones