SpamAssassin settings - was: Re: MailScanner v5.0.7-1 Released

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 6 18:27:30 UTC 2018

On 01/06/2018 06:41 AM, Pascal Maes wrote:

> Sometimes, a message is not scanned because of its size :
>
> MailScanner[22834]: Message 1F86067DE8B.AFA28 from 210.134.90.12 (yamarika at pop21.odn.ne.jp) to uclouvain.be is too big for spam checks (1248971 > 800000 bytes)
>

> In that case, it was clearly a spam with pictures attached and because of the pictures, the size was too big.
>
> I wonder if it should be possible to analyze only  the text part of the message.

It actually is scanned. Only SpamAssassin is skipped.

There are two settings that affect this. see
<https://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Max%20SpamAssassin%20Size>
and
<https://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Max%20Spam%20Check%20Size>.
The Max SpamAssassin Size setting can do more or less what you want, but
in order for it to be effective, Max Spam Check Size has to be bigger
than the message size.