MailScanner 5.0.7-2

Michael Abboud mabboud123 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 09:21:02 UTC 2018

Hi List,

My first post, so please forgive any obvious blunders...

I downloaded *MailScanner-5.0.7-2.deb.tar*, extracted and ran:

*./install.sh --update*

...on my:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial

...server.

The *./install --update *command worked up until the last part of the
script which attempts to install the .deb package.

The install log says:
.
.
.
Installing the MailScanner .deb package ...
(Reading database ... 261497 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../MailScanner-5.0.7-2-noarch.deb ...
cp: cannot stat '/etc/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/*': No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing archive
/home/sysadmin/MailScanner-5.0.7-2/MailScanner-5.0.7-2-noarch.deb
(--install):
  subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'screen-cleanup' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for
script `screen-cleanup'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop runlevel(s) for
script `screen-cleanup'
  /home/sysadmin/MailScanner-5.0.7-2/MailScanner-5.0.7-2-noarch.deb

I'm wondering if the *.deb* package is somehow corrupt?

I also tried Mark's approach using the *Build.deb* script but I couldn't
get the build to succeed on my Ubuntu server.

Any thoughts for a newbie?

Best regards,
Michael