Mailscanner milter to reject high score spam at MTA level

David Jones djones at ena.com
Sat Aug 11 13:38:54 UTC 2018

On 08/11/2018 08:15 AM, Shawn Iverson wrote:
> I have been planning for a MailScanner milter for quite some time.  I
> have been specifically studying rpamd's milter source for this purpose.
> Alas, lack of time and lack of money are always an issue, and I put a
> lot of hours in my day job.  As Jerry would say, I like to eat and have
> a roof over my head :D
>
> If I do find the time to build a milter, performance will definitely be
> impacted.  The reason is that postfix will have to keep each session
> open for the duration of scanning, and each MailScanner child would have
> to issue a callback to postfix after scanning the spam so that postfix
> can responds to the connection appropriately  (i.e. reject or accept).
> This will slow down mail processing considerably.  If I do this, I am
> going to keep the HOLD queue around, so you would have to choose between
> speed or MTA level rejection functionality.

My gut tells me that this is going to be so slow, that it's not going to
be worth the time to put into it.  If you want to reject at MTA time,
throw in amavis-new or spamd (not rspamd) using the same SpamAsssassin
rules and Bayes DB to get most of the same features as MailScanner
during the SMTP conversation.  Then the mail that gets through can be
filtered by MailScanner for it's extra features that make it unique.

I understand there are different local legal requirements around the
world that if email is accepted at MTA time then it has to be passed on
to the end user's mailbox.  If you are located in one of these
countries, then this would be more of an issue.  But since I am in a
country that doesn't have this legal requirement, I do block email
post-MTA by MailScanner.

The majority of my spam is blocked at the MTA level already by highly
tuned RBLs and postscreen's RBL weighting which is very, very good.
Only a small percentage of spam that is zero-hour or from compromised
accounts makes it to MailScanner.

I highly recommend the Invaluement RBL.  It's very accurate -- only 1 or
2 false positives over 5+ the years.  This RBL is very cost effective
and has allowed me to disable all Spamhaus RBL checks in SpamAssassin
saving thousands of dollars a year.  (We have too high a volume to stay
under the free usage limits of Spamhaus so we were having to pay for the
RBL feed.)

--
David Jones