Adding custom rules - spamassassin

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Tue Oct 10 17:23:35 UTC 2017

Koby,

You have a couple options for black/white listing.  Both are fairly easy.

As Peter mentions, you can create a rule in spamassassin which will add or subtract X points to messages that match.  MailScanner will then act on them via the spam actions and spam score settings in MailScanner.conf (or your customizations in the conf.d directory).

To create custom spamassassin rules, create a text file ending in .cf (MySpamRules.cf, for example) in /etc/mail/spamassassin.  Any file ending in .cf will be processed automatically by spamassassin.  Then, create the rules that you need within that file.

The other option is to use the whitelist or blacklist settings in MailScanner.conf:
  Is Definitely Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.blacklist.rules
  Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules

Look in the rules directory for examples.

Using a spamassassin rule will let you target very specific patterns which is good if a bunch of spam messages are identical but being sent from multiple different domains, or from an email address from which you don't want to block everything.

Using MailScanner white/black lists allow you to accept or block at the username and/or domain name level.  Much less granular but very effective when you just want to stomp on everything from a particular user or domain.

BTW, on some systems, the default spamassassin rulesets land in /var/lib/spamassassin, not /usr/share/spamassassin, depending on which distro you're using.

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.