Max Spam Check Size

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 13 22:45:12 UTC 2017

On 12/13/2017 12:34 PM, Thom van der Boon wrote:

> After reviewing the log files, all messages which are uncaught have a
> size between 200k and 225k (most arround 215k) and look to be targeted
> to get past a MailScanner installation
>
> I would suggest to set the new default value for this parameter from
> 200k to at least 300k in a future MailScanner version.

I agree that there is now much spam that is larger than 200K bytes,
however if you are correct that it is targeted to be just over the
MailScanner default limit, raising the default limit will just provoke
the spammers to raise their message size and it would be better for
individual sites to raise the limit on their own.

On the other hand, I'm skeptical that this observation is more than a
coincidence, and I think a 500K default limit might make more sense.