Phishing Server Change

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Thu Aug 3 18:45:56 UTC 2017

Mine were in cron.daily, so that's good.  I replaced them with the new script so they should now use compressed curl.

I was thinking on ways to lighten the load.  Perhaps you could auto-publish a TXT record in DNS with a serial number in it that indicated the version of phishing conf files.  Something like
  PhishingVersion IN TXT "20170803-1037"
to indicate the publishing date/time of the current file.

The download script could do an lookup on the DNS record, write it to a file, and the next time the script runs, compare the historical file to the current DNS result.  Or it could be imbedded as a comment in the conf file, then parsed and compared to the DNS lookup.  If the local file is up to date, then bail.  If not, download.  Either way, a DNS lookup is much lighter weight than a full download.

Just a thought.

Your work is appreciated...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.