SV: SV: Spoofing and SPF

Trond M. Markussen markussen at media24.no
Mon Sep 12 13:59:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

So in other words the SPF check is based on the envelope sender as seen here

In other words, SPF does not prevent spoofing in these cases?

I should probably explain our setup better though; we have a meta rule in
effect that will give a score of 10 if triggered. This meta rule is applied
if the following two rules are triggered: FROM_CUSTOMERDOMAIN and SPF_FAIL
(or SPF_SOFTFAIL)

CUSTOMERDOMAIN is the client that only wants to allow e-mails from their own
domain if the sender is listed in their SPF record.

This seems to filter out 99% of spoofed emails from their domain, but some
keep getting through - and in these cases the FROM_CUSTOMERDOMAIN rule is
triggered, but not SPF_FAIL/SPF_SOFTFAIL.

0.01 	FROM_CUSTOMERDOMAIN
0.00 	FSL_BULK_SIG
1.50 	HELO_MISC_IP
0.00	HTML_MESSAGE	HTML included in message
10.00 	LOCAL_SPF_SOFTFAIL_FROM_CUSTOMERDOMAIN
0.50	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100	Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
1.89	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100	Razor2 gives engine 8 confidence
level above 50%
0.92	RAZOR2_CHECK	Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
1.05	RDNS_NONE	Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
1.50	SPF_SOFTFAIL	SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

Regards,

Trond M.