Failed to read PID from file /var/run/MailScanner.pid: Invalid argument

Walt Thiessen wt at dld2000.com
Sat Oct 22 10:23:48 UTC 2016

We had an incident where MailScanner mysteriously stopped running
yesterday, and we had to restart it.

The only thing my admins could find in the logs to give us any clue as
to why it stopped was this entry:

Oct 21 23:07:45 server systemd: Failed to read PID from file
/var/run/MailScanner.pid: Invalid argument

The file at /var/run/MailScanner.pid merely contains a number: 26969,
and nothing else.

To compound our confusion, that entry came roughly 5 hours after the
restart.

Does anyone know the purpose of that /var/run/MailScanner.pid and why it
might generate such an error?