Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 13 21:19:23 UTC 2016

On 10/13/2016 01:35 PM, Paul Scott wrote:

> Auto: Found virus scanners: clamavmodule
> LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************
> LibClamAV Warning: ***  The virus database is older than 7 days!  ***
> LibClamAV Warning: ***   Please update it as soon as possible.    ***
> LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************
> LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
> LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
> LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
> LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************

Try using yum or whatever to install/update clamav, clamd and freshclam.
Also, running clamd is much preferred to the clamav module. If clamd is
running, Virus Scanners = auto will use it.

> 4. And every now and again, I get these kind of error messages in the maillog:
> Oct 13 13:07:44 mail MailScanner[4773]: Could not open file >/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/4773/u9DK7gOS005688.header: No such file or directory
> Oct 13 13:07:44 mail MailScanner[4773]: Cannot create + lock headers file /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/4773/u9DK7gOS005688.header

What is the owner and group of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/, and
what user and group are the MailScanner processes running as?

> I noticed that there are a few other folks having the same or similar issues as I ran into using the install.sh script.  I feel that this is going to become a large support issue, and I feel badly for all of us out here in the world that are running into this problem.

I'm sorry for the difficulty that you and others have experienced in
upgrading from Mailscanner 4.x.x to 5.x.x. I'm sure there's much room
for improvement in the scripts and documentation, but please note that
this is not a micro or minor point release upgrade. It is a major
version jump. As such you should expect that things will change and do
more research and preparation before actually upgrading.