Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 13 06:23:36 UTC 2016

On 10/12/2016 11:41 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

> 1. Everything in the MailScanner --lint test is now working (I fixed the DCC issue by manually starting the dccfid service), except the "mktemp" error, which is as follows:
>
> mktemp: invalid option -- -
> Usage: mktemp [-V] | [-dqtu] [-p prefix] [template]
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule
> Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
> mktemp: invalid option -- -
> Usage: mktemp [-V] | [-dqtu] [-p prefix] [template]
> ERROR: Option --tempdir requires a non-empty string argument
> ERROR: Can't parse command line options

I'm not certain, but this may be why MailScanner wasn't processing the
messages that were piling up in the Processing Attempts database.

I would suggest you forget the clamavmodule and just use clamd. It's way
more efficient anyway and you won't have to deal with this
clamav-wrapper issue. I think as long as clamd is running and
MailScanner's config has the default Virus Scanners = auto, MailScanner
will use clamd.

> 2. The output of the command "[root at mail log]# /usr/sbin/ms-peek IncomingWorkDir /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf" is as follows:
>
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
>

> 3. The content of the "defaults" file shows the following:

> ms_conf=/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

Those things are correct. The actual mktemp command at line 147 in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/wrapper/clamav-wrapper is

mktemp -d --tmpdir=${IWD}

The actual value of ${IWD} can be either
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/clamav-tmp or /tmp/clamav-tmp depending
on whether /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming is on a ramdisk or not, but
in any case it should be a "non-empty string", so I am at a loss to
understand what's happening here.