{Spam?} HOWTO: Change rule score and stop Blacklisted emails being delivered.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 5 17:26:34 UTC 2016

On 11/05/2016 07:46 AM, Hedley Phillips via MailScanner wrote:

> I've tried editing /usr/mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf and adding
> the following rule:
>
> Score URIBL_BLACK 10.0
>
> Then restarted with:
>
> Service MailScanner reload
>
> But it made no difference to the score so this is not the right place to
> edit.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Which file do I edit to change the rule scores

It depends. It looks like you may have installed some distro's
MailScanner package because if you install from source, there is no
/usr/mailscanner/ directory.

Normally, SpamAssassin rules and scores are in .cf files in
/etc/spamassassin. In my installation, included there are

local.cf - a normal spamassassin file for local changes
MailScanner.cf - a symlink to /etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf
x-GPC-local.cf - my own 'local' file

You should be able to put rules and scores in any of these. I think they
are parsed in alpha-numeric order after all the rules in
/var/lib/spamassassin/**. Note that if something appears more than once,
the last found is the effective one.

> 2) How can I get MailScanner to delete all emails that come from Blacklisted
> addresses?

See
<https://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#SpamAssassin%20Rule%20Actions>