Is it possible to use MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 20 20:59:47 UTC 2016

On 05/20/2016 12:26 PM, Peter Lemieux wrote:
> If you don't have a pre-existing rule for this, you can add one by
> creating a file in /etc/mail/spamassassin/, say myrules.cf, with these
> lines
>
> # add high score to messages without subjects
> header NO_SUBJ         Subject =~ /^$/
> score NO_SUBJ          10
> describe NO_SUBJ    Message has no subject line
>
> The regular expression "^$" matches the empty string.

I would be inclined to use a different regexp. something like

/^\s*(\(?no subject\)?)?\s*$/i

to catch subjects like 'no subject' and '(no subject)' too.

Also, this rule only hits on messages with a Subject: header. There is a
standard rule MISSING_SUBJECT for no Subject: header at all.

This rule is defined in 20_head_tests.cf as

header __HAS_SUBJECT		exists:Subject
meta MISSING_SUBJECT		!__HAS_SUBJECT