Nonexistent Users

Alan Dobkin MailScanner at OmniComp.org
Fri May 6 14:48:11 UTC 2016

Jim,

Ideally, your MTA (Postfix, Sendmail, etc.) should reject mail to
non-existent accounts during the initial SMTP transaction, before
MailScanner ever sees it. See page 8 of the MailScanner guide book for
an overview of how it works, available here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mailscanner/docs/ms-admin-guide.pdf

If you provide more details on your server configuration, someone here
may be able to point you in the right direction. For example, with
Postfix, see:
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

> Rejecting mail for a non-existent recipient address. This form of
> ingress filtering helps to keep the mail queue free of undeliverable
> MAILER-DAEMON messages. This requirement is enabled by default
> ("smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient
> <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient>
> = yes").

If you are relaying for other mail servers, you may also want to enable
recipient address verification:
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

Alan