IPv6 and spam.whitelist.rules

Paul Overton paul at trusted-management.com
Mon Mar 14 15:17:39 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I have recently updated our network to be fully IPv6/IPv4 dual stack operation. Whilst doing this I have updated our MailSanners (x5). Two of them had no issues that other three failed as below.

For some time I have occasionally used a whitelist for a whole network, there (for example) I have used a netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27 which appeared to work, however  when I updated our systems to use IPv6. MailScanner (Spam Detection) stopped working if email was received in using IPv6. After some debugging it appeared that  the reading of the whitelist which is being passed by Mail::CIDR, was erroring with "Invalid Netblock:".

I have re-configured the spam.whitelist.rules file to remove all / notations and all is now working again.

My systems are based on Slackware Linux, Sendmail (8.15.1) and MailScanner  4.85.2-3. Perl modules up to date.

Is this expected behaviour, or is this unexpected behaviour, or have I interpreted the whitelist format incorrectly ?

Regards

--
Paul

dangerous content by Trusted Management Limited, and is
believed to be clean.