cron.daily files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 11 21:43:20 UTC 2016

On 03/11/2016 12:26 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> In the MailWatch list I recently posted that some scripts in cron.daily weren't running by the scheduler, but ran just fine from the CLI.  It turns out that Debian does not allow '.' in the filename of a cron job stored in /etc/cron.(d|daily|weekly|monthly).  It's actually a run-parts issue.
>>From the run-parts man page:
>        If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then
>        the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case letters,
>        ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I actually run (my own slightly modified version of) KAM.cf.sh daily,
but I run it and several other crons from root's own crontab because I
want more control over the timing. I don't want KAM.cf.sh and other
spamassassin updates which can run sa-compile running at the same time.