Question about the Deny Filenames section

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 8 21:23:23 UTC 2016

On 03/08/2016 12:39 PM, Philip Parsons wrote:
> Thanks I have tried this rule set but it just blocks it all
>> From:                    xxx
>> FromOrTo:       default        \.doc$ \.zip$ \.docx$

You mean those two lines are in a file something like
/etc/MailScanner/rules/deny.filename.rules pointed to by Deny Filenames
in your config and files with those extensions are blocked even if the
message is from the xxx address?

If so, I looked at the code, and a rule like

From:    user at example.com

should work to provide a null value for the rule when the message is
from user at example.com, but what if you try something like

From: user at example.com  \.bogus_ext$

Or what about putting

From: user at example.com ^.*$

in a ruleset for Allow Filenames

Or do you already have something in Allow Filenames that might override
the Deny Filenames setting (I'm not sure about the interaction between
these).