Mail server migration and HOLDing mail at Mailscanner

Peter Lemieux mailscanner at replies.cyways.com
Tue Mar 8 04:19:31 UTC 2016

If the recipient server used SMTP, then Postfix would handle everything
itself.  It would queue up the mail until the dbmail server came back online
and deliver it soon thereafter.  All SMTP servers know how to handle outages
on the receiving end and queue up mail for later delivery. Reading a bit of
the wiki page for LMTP, it looks pretty similar to ESMTP.  I'd bet you'd be
fine just bringing the dbmail server down gracefully, but maybe you should run
a test.

How about bringing down the server late some night when it has low volumes
then sending a test message to an account on it from outside?  The Postfix
logs will tell you what it did with the message both when it arrives and later
after the dbmail server is brought back up.

Good luck, Simon!

Peter