MailScanner-4.85.2-3.deb package install

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 21 01:21:16 UTC 2016

On 02/20/2016 03:47 PM, Patrick Goupell wrote:
> During install of this package on debian jessie I got the following error:
>
> Can't open /etc/freshclam.conf: No such file or directory.

Strange...

The only reference to /etc/freshclam.conf I can find is in the
install.sh script which does

# fix the stupid line in /etc/freshclam.conf that disables freshclam
if [ $CAV == 1 ]; then
        clear
        echo;
        echo "Installing Clam AV via apt ... "; echo;
        timewait 3
        $APTGET -y install $CAVOPTION
        COUT='#Example';
        if [ -f "/etc/freshclam.conf" ]; then
                perl -pi -e 's/Example/'$COUT'/;' /etc/freshclam.conf
        fi
fi

which, if you're installing clamav, calls apt-get to install clamav and
then attempts to comment out an 'Example' line in /etc/freshclam.conf,
but only if /etc/freshclam.conf is a file.

This should not be complaining if /etc/freshclam.conf doesn't exist.

Can you be more specific about the context in which you saw this?