maillog vs Mailwatch log

Walt Thiessen wt at dld2000.com
Thu Dec 15 19:21:35 UTC 2016

We resolved the issue.

In case someone finds this thread sometime and needs to know what we
did, here's what happened.

We contacted cPanel support, and they logged in and looked things over.

cPanel support suggested changing option RESTRICT_SYSLOG_GROUP to 0 or
2,and changing permissions on /dev/log socket afterwards since when
option is set to 3 it changes permissions on /dev/log to 660 instead 666
which may prevent non-root users from writing to file.

After rsyslog service was restarted, service started logging into
/var/log/maillog again.

Walt