Update - Web Bug File

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 29 00:49:03 UTC 2015

On 10/28/2015 05:43 PM, Brenda Bell wrote:
> Actually, that makes me ask another question… will MailScanner work with
> a file URL like file:///etc/MailScanner/1x1spacer.gif?

Essentially no. The problem is MailScanner disarms the web bug by
replacing it's URL with a safe one that doesn't include tracking info.

The issue is if MS puts a file:/// URL in the message as the src of the
image, the client reading the message is probably on the user's
workstation or phone or tablet and the file:/// URL won't work because
the image is on the server, not the client.