Postfix and MailScanner

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Sat May 16 00:15:52 UTC 2015

Curiously, the init.d script doesn't mention postfix, but it does start it.  If I stop MailScanner and do a "ps aux | grep postfix" nothing is there.  If I start MailScanner postfix starts:

root at mxt:/var/log# ps aux | grep postfix
postfix  28957  0.0  0.8 114488 41792 ?        Ss   16:11   0:00 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
postfix  28958 10.7  2.7 236320 135860 ?       S    16:11   0:02 MailScanner: waiting for messages
postfix  29026 13.5  2.7 236316 135912 ?       S    16:11   0:02 MailScanner: waiting for messages
root     29076  0.0  0.0  12724  2232 pts/2    R+   16:12   0:00 grep postfix

However, it doesn't seem to be listening on port 25.  Before I installed MailScanner it would send/receive mail.  Now it doesn't.  Tailing mail.log shows MailScanner started but it never shows any connection attempts.  Not sure what's going on there.

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.