MailScanner v4.85.1-1

Jerry Benton jerry.benton at mailborder.com
Thu Feb 5 07:51:22 GMT 2015

Nick,

The Mailborder phishing.bad.sites.conf is NOT included in the MailScanner package. http://phishing.mailborder.com is an alternative if you wish to use it and the site clearly explains the data source used to generate the list. In order to use the Mailborder provided list you must manually install it. If you have not installed it, then you are not getting the Mailborder provided file. So, you may either use the Mailborder generated file place place of the default or continue using the default that is included in the MailScanner distribution, which pulls from http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf.

So to be very clear:

- No Mailborder specific items, code, or anything else is included in the MailScanner open source distribution.
- No Baruwa specific items, code, or anything else is included in the MailScanner open source distribution.
- No MailWatch specific items, code, or anything else is included in the MailScanner open source distribution.
- I nor anyone else on the development team has access to the system that generates the http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf file. Jules controls this and cannot grant us access to the source due to restrictions placed on him by either licensing or an NDA.
- If you do not like the two available sources for the automatically updated phishing.bad.sites.conf file, no one is forcing you to use them. Feel free to develop a superior solution and use it for yourself or share it with the MailScanner community.

If you have an improvement to the open source code that would benefit everyone, you may submit it to this list. If it makes sense I will add it to the distribution. However, proclaiming some has “zero intelligence” is of "zero value” to everyone unless you have an alternate solution. You have complete access to all of the MailScanner source code here:

https://github.com/MailScanner/v4

I eagerly await your superior solution and selfless contribution to the MailScanner project in regards to this matter.

-
Jerry Benton
www.mailborder.com