Does Mailscanner Rename

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:55:21 UTC 2015

Generally, the name shown in the report has been ... sanitized... For
example, if you have somthing trigger the "very long fillename" rule,
it'll be ... shortened... This can sometimes be a bit confusing, but
is generally a good thing;-)

Cheers!
--
-- Glenn

On 27 March 2015 at 15:03, Heino Backhaus
<heino.backhaus at fink-computer.de> wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I enjoy using mailscanner for many years now. Thanks to all.
> I would realy appreciate your help with a problem i was running across.
>
> The first question is. Does Mailscanner rename a file with a CLSID in
> the filename to something like this: CLIP-%7B8EC58011.bmp ?
>
> Now to my problem:
> An attached bitmap (a companys logo) triggeres the CLSID Filename rule.
>
> The MailWatch report says:
> Report: MailScanner: Files containing CLSID's are trying to hide their
> real type (CLIP-%7B8EC58011.bmp)
>
> The corresponding rule from filename.rules.conf is stated below:
>
> # Deny filenames containing CLSID's
> deny    \{[a-hA-H0-9-]{25,}\}   Filename trying to hide its real type
>                          Files containing  CLSID's are trying to hide
> their real type
>
> A strange thing is that this file downloaded from Mailwatch and attached
> to a new (html) mail will pass the Mailscanner.
> So i think it's renamed and may not be the original name...
> But when you try to release the mail from quarantine it triggers
> the CLSID-Rule again ... I'm a little confused about this and need help.
> Thanks in advance.
>

> My Softwareversions are:
>
> MailWatch Version = 1.2.0 - Beta 5
>
> MailScanner Version = 4.84.6
>
> PHP Version = 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.7
>
> MySQL Version = 5.5.41-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
>

> --
>
> "In retrospect it becomes clear that hindsight is definitely overrated!"
>
>    -Alfred E. Neumann

-- Glenn